Website Prominence Way Retirement Community
Prominence Way, Calgary’s NEWEST Retirement Community located in Patterson Heights, is actively seeking an energetic, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to join our growing team!
The Recreation Therapist has a true passion for working with seniors and making a difference in their lives. Responsible for resident assessment, care planning, evaluation, and some program execution, the Recreation Therapist continuously strives to provide unique, active and stimulating experiences for our valued residents at Prominence Way.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Providing on-going education to residents and family members on the benefits of recreation, socialization and physical activity.
- Garnering feedback from Residents and Families on a regular basis to ensure that programs are attractive to the community as a whole.
- Assist the Lifestyle Manager in developing monthly activities calendars and newsletters, taking resident feedback and suggestions into consideration.
- Providing department and community training and orientation.
- Providing professional guidance to the Lifestyle Manager and Lifestyle Assistant(s) in all aspects of therapeutic recreation.
- Understands and practices the principles of excellent customer service and instills Signature Retirement Living’s mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrate the ability to interact effectively with fellow team members, residents, resident family members, and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Self-initiative, strong time management and organizational skills.
- Enthusiastic with the ability to motivate individuals and groups.
- Understands that some scheduling flexibility will be required.
Skills & Knowledge Requirements:
- Diploma in recreation with a specialization in therapeutic recreation or Degree in Recreation Therapy, Leisure Studies or Recreation Administration is required.
- Active registration with Alberta Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA) required.
- Certified Recreation Specialist (CTRS) in considered an asset.
- Class 4 license is considered an asset.
- Fitness training appropriate for seniors (ie. Can-Fit Pro) preferred, or willing to obtain.
- Knowledgeable of health and safety regulations.
- Experienced in seniors’ care, retirement living, supportive living or long term care.
- Comfortable with the daily use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong verbal and written English skills.
- Valid First Aid and CPR.
- Fit to lead exercise class, push wheelchairs, and to carry equipment and move basic furniture such as chairs.
- Frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Bending, stooping on a regular basis.
- Push and/or pull wheeled equipment up to 50 pounds.
The successful candidate must have a current police check with vulnerable sector screen.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. Please be advised that due to the large volume of candidates only those required for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.