Prominence Way Retirement Community
Reporting directly to the Resident Care Manager, the Health Care Aide (HCA) provides high quality resident centered personal care and supportive services ensuring independence, dignity and respect at all times while working collaboratively with the care team, other departments, residents, families, and other agencies.
Job Type: Temporary Casual ( 6 month contract with possibility of extension)
- Understanding and adhering to the philosophies, policies, procedures and practices of Signature Retirement Living.
- Carries out assigned tasks as directed by registered staff and documents accordingly.
- Once appropriately trained, completes medication assistance activities as per site policies and procedures.
- Orients personnel at the request of the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Resident Care Manager (RCM) or Clinical Resource Nurse (CRN).
- Collaborates with other personnel to ensure continuity of care.
- Cooperates with and assists other staff in providing services to the resident, including Alberta Health Services staff members.
- Maintains a safe and clean environment.
- Deals tactfully and courteously with residents, families and visitors and reports any problems to the LPN or RCM.
- Notifies the LPN of any resident incidents or unusual findings and completes all documentation as required.
- Responds to resident call bells and door alarms promptly.
- Completes all aspects of resident care as outlined in the care plan and assignment. Seeks assistance from LPN, RCM or CRN if unsure of any task.
- Communicates with LPN about activities, needs and problems related to resident care and/or safety.
- Transports resident to and from their suite, recreational activities and dining room, as established by the care plan.
- Ensures that own personal grooming is appropriate and that uniform/dress is clean, tidy and according to dress code (which includes the wearing of the Tracker as per established policies).
- Carries out all duties in a safe manner, adhering to policies at all times.
- Fosters resident centered care, recognizing unique resident situations and complexity of care delivery in the residence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Attend all in-service education relevant to position.
- Effectively interact with multiple internal/external stakeholders, including the public, and manage stressful situations with empathy and respect.
- Understands and practices the principles of excellent customer service and instills Signature Retirement Living’s mission, vision and values.
- Self initiative, strong time management and organizational skills.
- Clear Criminal Records Check.
- Up to date immunizations.
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- Health Care Aide certificate from an approved Government of Alberta licensed post-secondary institution or deemed substantially equivalent (an educational background deemed by the Operator to be equivalent to an approved Provincial Health Care Aide curriculum.
- Knowledgeable of health and safety regulations.
- Experienced in seniors’ care, retirement living, supportive living or long term care.
- Good verbal and written English skills.
- Completion of the Medication Assistance Program on site, prior to assisting residents with medications.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT, SPECIAL SKILLS AND PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Work in an environment where there are many distractions and attention is needed on numerous issues at a time.
- Be flexible with schedules and assignments.
- Well organized with attention to detail.
- Walk, stretch and stand on a variety of surfaces for at least 4 hours per day.
- Frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Push and/or pull wheeled equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Bend, stoop, and/or sit on a regular basis.
- Frequently assist with the safe lifts and transfers of residents throughout the shift.
- Climb stairs and work in confined spaces.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are asked to forward their cover letter and resume.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. Please be advised that due to the large volume of candidates only those required for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Reasonable accommodation for applicants with a disability is available upon request, for the interview process and for other candidate selection methods.